As many know already from great reporting by Boise Dev (see below), the Armory was purchased last year by new out-of-state owners. While immediate plans do not include changes to the Armory, proposed new development features a mix of retail, residential and structured parking. As the Armory is on the National Register, the developers can take advantage of Historic Tax Credits—assuming the project meets certain criteria. More on that is available here Historic Tax Credit FAQ or by contacting the State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) of the Idaho State Historic Society.
Neighborhood representatives and EENA Armory Subcommittee members have met virtually with the new owner/developer in recent months to discuss the history of the Armory and their interests in the property. We’ve been impressed with their willingness to engage in voluntary community discussions prior to a formal application process.
The Armory itself has lain dormant and inactive for decades, and although the City of Boise owned the parcel for much of that time, there was never a vision or priority to put it into active use. The previous administration arranged a land swap with speculators J&M Land out of Palo Alto, CA, who performed some landscaping and stabilization after acquiring the property, but rebuffed local businesses interested in leasing the space. Any new activity means change on the status quo, although seeing the site put to productive use is something many neighbors have wanted to see.
The new owner/developer is hosting a public information meeting to share their current ideas and interest in the property. As the process moves forward, the city will hold public hearings on proposed changes to the parcel.
Public Information Meeting*
- When—Monday, January 31, 6PM TO 8PM
- Where—North Junior High School, 13th and Fort Streets.
- Zoom option—https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82999000379?pwd=eXQ4ZStMVWprV1ZsNUJDSTlWZ0k0Zz09 (pass code: 54321)
- Questions about the meeting or proposed development: East End Neighborhood Association,
- Information on the historic Reserve Street Armory: https://reservestreetarmory.com/.
- To provide feedback about this meeting, submit comments to .
- To learn about the planning process, visit www.cityofboise.org/devreview.
- Review pre-application meeting notes at permits.cityofboise.org (case number PAC21-00243).
- Event flier 1-25-22 FLIER for EENA FINAL LIVESTREAM
*not a public hearing.